for James A. Garfield HS Graduates
The Garrettsville Area Chamber of Commerce is pleased to announce that it will be awarding two (2) $1,000 scholarships to college-bound graduates, and two (2) $500 scholarships to graduates pursuing further education at a trade/technical school.
The decision of the Chamber’s Scholarship Committee is final and will be based on the following criteria:
• Student desire/goals
• School activities, outside interests and community/volunteer activities
• A written essay (detailed below)
The scholarship money awarded is to be used for a course of study, tuition or books at an accredited college/university/trade program. Proof of enrollment will be required prior to disbursement of funds. The scholarship is valid for the 2018-2019 school year and is not renewable.
To be considered for a scholarship, you must submit the following information:
- A completed Application Form (available from the GHS guidance office).
- A 750 (minimum) word essay that addresses at least three (3) of these topics:
- What steps have you/are you taking to achieve your educational pursuits?
- What are your goals in pursuing your degree/training?
- Which JAG Core Value do you feel that you exemplify?
- How has your high school experience helped to prepare you for the future?
You may include a CURRENT printout of your Community Service Record from any service organizations you are part of.
Your essay is the most important part of your application and should NOT begin:
“I would like to receive a scholarship from the Garrettsville Area Chamber of Commerce because…”
Please do not submit a “cookie-cutter” scholarship essay.
Tell us why you need or want the scholarship. Something about yourself and family, comments on your attitude, goals and desires; and anything else you feel would be beneficial for the Committee to know when evaluating your application.
Completed Scholarship Applications should be turned in to the HS Guidance Office.
DEADLINE: All applications for the Chamber of Commerce scholarship must be turned in to the Garfield High School guidance office by 2:00pm on May 1st, NO EXCEPTIONS.
Scholarships will be awarded at Senior Awards Night. If you are selected you will be required to attend a special luncheon in June. The scholarship recipient and two family members will be guests of the Garrettsville Area Chamber at the event. We look forward to receiving your application. Good Luck!